Monday, September 29, 2014

100 Days of Dopeyness

I don't even know why I have not shared this on my blog until now.  After the marathon I vowed to never do a marathon again.  I was in pain, and I felt as if my ankles needed to be removed from my body.

I didn't even run once for a month after.

So, in April, I did the only logical thing.

For runDisney events, it's the end all of all challenges:  the Dopey Challenge during the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend.

So what is Dopey?

It's four races over four days for a total of 48.6 miles:
  • Thursday, January 8:  I run a 5k
  • Friday, January 9:  I run a 10k
  • Saturday, January 10:  I run a half marathon
  • Sunday, January 11:  I run a marathon
The prize just for finishing?  Six (yes, 6) medals.  One for each of the individual races, one for completing the Goofy Challenge (running the half and full marathons) and one for running the full Dopey challenge.


In 100 days, I will be at the race expo, picking up my race packet and most likely freaking out and listening to whatever wisdom Jeff Galloway can give us.  For four days, I will discover soreness like I've never felt before and experience a whole new level of sleep deprivation as Disney races typically mean a 2am or 3am wake up call.

And yet, all of this serves a bigger purpose.  I know I can't run these races on my own.  I can certainly train as hard as possible, which I intend to do.  But this challenge is to give God glory in that all of me will be stripped away during that four day time period and all that will be left is His glory and His strength in me. 

In all honesty, my running has lost it's way.  I was basking in all I could do for myself and forgetting the One who made it all possible.  In all of that self-reliance, I was getting cocky.  And I was getting injured.  I need to let the One who gave me the ability to endure to complete His work and get over my "Power Trip".

Who made the crowd put they hands in the sky? Me.
Who made the sky with they hands? What if y'all can't see?
This is kinda strange, God makes the weather change
And we braggin' up on our change like "look how we make it rain!"
We Invictus, this sin sickness is in us
Running a muck and causing that mischief, tell me this then, "Who could really fix us?"
I'm, trippin' to think that I'm really not limited in this position in sitting in,
Gravity pulling me back to earth gradually, reality's hittin'
(Who's got the power?)--LeCrae, Power Trip


I listen to that song often on runs, but the words haven't meant much until recently.  So for the next 100+4 days, I will have to let God take control now and for the rest of my life.

"being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."--Philippians 1:6

No comments:

Post a Comment