Friday, December 28, 2012

Matthew 17:20

"I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as the mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, “Move from here to there,” and it would move. Nothing would be impossible."

If I were to list the times I thought something was impossible, then I'd certainly be here all day.

And tomorrow.

And quite possibly the next day.

Take this running thing for instance.  Two years ago, I had just started working out.  Running for me was really an impossibility, but in late February of 2011, a friend talked me into the McLeod Health 5K in Florence.  I went from one mile to two.  I was assured that not everyone runs those races, and I learned this was true.  My greatest achievement in running was that I finished a 5K.  That's 3.11 miles, folks.

The following year, as I placed 8th in my division for the same 5K, my athletic trainer buddies told me, "You could have done the 10K."  So what do I do?

I sign up for a half marathon.  

Does anyone see the skip in there?

And you know what?  I finished it.

By the end of 2013, I will run one 5K, two 10Ks, and two half marathons.  And I am seriously contemplating the Disney Marathon in 2014.  That, my friends, is 26.2 miles.  

So, how does one jump from the sofa to 26.2 miles in four years time?  Persistence.  People have always told me I was too stubborn for my own good.  And faith.  When I rounded the miles and my iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS) was kicking in, I was ready to give up.  

I'm not going to lie, the ITBS still bothers me.  I invested in one of these:

Fitness Gear 24" Foam Roller - Dick's Sporting Goods 

and although it hurts like the devil to use it, I have a lot less pain than I used to.  Stretching helps, as well as listening to my body and slowing down when I need to.

I had faith, though.  I knew that because I had prayed for strength.  In my case, my body is a mountain, and the faith will bring me to and through 26.2 miles.

Of course, I still have the issue of running a total of  41.75 miles in races first.

No comments:

Post a Comment