Thursday, December 19, 2013

When you are uncertain you can finish

24 days. . .

Yep, that's it.  That's how many days I have until I run my first (and quite possibly only) marathon.

It's been a struggle.  And that is putting it mildly.  Do I know if I'll make it?  Not really.

I've trained.  I've run one 20-mile practice run and have another soon.  According to experts, whoever they are, if a person can do 20 miles, they can do 26.2.  I'll believe that in 24 days.

If I calculate correctly, that's just a little over 3 weeks from now.  I've done everything humanly I think I can do.  I've read literature, gotten the right shoes, trained hard, found the right clothes, used Body Glide.  I've booked my flight, my room, my dining reservations, planned exactly how much time I'm spending off of my feet on the day before.  I run on days that I don't feel like it.  When my knee hurts, I take time off of running to let it heal.

The fact of the matter, though, is I'm uncertain.  I'm uncertain that I'm going to finish that marathon.

But aren't we all uncertain at some point?

My favorite scripture verse is "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord.  Plans to prosper you and not harm you.  Plans for hope and a future."  (Jeremiah 29:11)

It sounds simplistic, but it is not.  I can plan and hope and dream, but the fact of the matter is this--everything, and I mean everything is in God's hands.  And is God even concerned about whether or not I finish this race?

I think so:  "Why even the hairs on your head are all numbered."  (Luke 12:7)

It's hard not to worry when faced with the uncertainty of all that life puts in our paths.  But I am convinced that "in all things, God works for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose."  (Romans 8:28)

If it's for my good, I will finish.  If it isn't, I will not.

So, for now, I just can't worry about that.

"Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear'?  For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your Heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.  But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."  (Matthew 6:31-33)

No comments:

Post a Comment