Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Aches and Pains. . .Listen to Your Body!

I'm stubborn.

There, I admitted it.

My name is Amanda, and stubborn-ness is my problem.  I try not to be, but I still find myself there.

And what is the problem with that?

"I will break down your stubborn pride."  ~~Leviticus 26:19

Oh.  Wow.  Stubborn and proud.  Way to step on my toes.

The theme of today's post involves the aches and pains involved with training for long runs.  See, for two weeks, I did something I know not to do.  I've done it before, with the same disastrous results.

I did leg extensions with 100+ pounds of weight, leg presses with 90+ pounds of weight, and 10 sets of squats.  There's really not a problem with that unless you plan to run seven miles soon after.  Me, in my stubborn pridefulness, thought that it would be okay.

It wasn't.

And it hasn't ever been before.  I thought I could be she-man, and lift way too heavy with my legs and my knees not pay the price.  I was prideful and therefore lost it all there.

Yes, I still ran 7 miles.  Yes, I was really slow.  I did not listen to my training.  I knew better than the books I've read, podcasts I've listened to, even Jeff Galloway.  I knew in my mind better what the temple God gave me had already shown me.  I was prideful.  I was going to do be the big gal on the block.

Guess what?  I'm almost 40 years old.  I am still overweight.  Old knees aren't meant to withstand all of that work.  And it does not pay to forget all of that.

Last night, I ate some humble pie, took it slowly, and forgot all of that extra too much.

That two miles was much better.

"Before his downfall, a man's heart is proud; but humility comes before honor."  ~~Proverbs 18:12

No comments:

Post a Comment